Please refer to the Educator Portal for the Idaho CTE FAQs for Idaho-specific information.
All CTE junior/senior capstone students and seniors enrolled in at least their second CTE course (grades 9 ‐ 12) should take the CTECS Workplace Readiness Skills Assessment (WRA). Any junior/senior enrolled in a capstone course (the final course in a Pathway Program) is expected to take the Technical Skills Assessment (TSA).
For a full list of current capstone courses and their corresponding TSA exams, reference the TSA and Capstones document located on the Educator Portal.
Testing is required for 100% of program concentrators (100% participation rate).
What is the benefit to students?
Students must take and pass the pathway TSA to be eligible for Technical Competency Credit. Students can also demonstrate to employers that they have passed the TSA or WRA through a SkillStack® badge.
What is Technical Competency Credit?
Technical Competency Credit is college credit that students can earn by completing a pathway in high school. These credits are awarded when the student enrolls in the technical college of their choice through a statewide articulation agreement.
When should students take the assessments?
Refer to the testing calendar on the Idaho Overview webpage.
May students take a pre-test?
Students can take one pre-test per TSA. Pretesting is voluntary. For scheduling and pricing information, refer to the testing calendar on the Idaho Overview webpage.
Refer to the testing calendar for testing prices. The table also shows which assessments are paid by IDCTE or the district.
How are test tickets created?
Refer to the information on the Overview page.
1. What is the cut score or standard for mastery for the Idaho CTECS Assessments?
See the Idaho Overview chart for standard of mastery (i.e., cut scores) for all live tests.
2. May teachers proctor their own students?
No, this could jeopardize test security. You agree to these terms when signing the Test Site Administrator Registration and Agreement form.
3. Must test proctors sign a Test Site Administrator Registration and Agreement form?
No, only test site administrators sign agreement forms with the state. A test site administrator can view the reports/results from the tests. Teachers should identify their proctors.
4. May teachers take the exam?
No. This could jeopardize test security.
5. Is there a practice test (pre-test) for any exam?
Not for the Workplace Readiness Assessment. Yes for specified TSAs within certain dates. See the Idaho Overview chart for a complete listing of pre-tests.
6. Will the student receive a certificate for passing exams?
Yes. Test site administrators can print a CTECS Workplace Readiness Skills certificate and Technical Skills certificate for all passing students directly form their E-SESS accounts. Students can also demonstrate to employers that they have passed the TSA or WRA through a SkillStack® badge.
Certificates are now available for all SkillStack® badges, including assessment badges!
7. Do you offer refunds or credits for this assessment?
No. It is not necessary since there is no charge for unused test tickets.
8. Do you offer paper/pencil tests?
No. All CTECS Assessment are online only.
9. Are there resources available to aid in studying for the WRA Assessment?
10. What testing accommodations are allowed for students with disabilities?
Refer to the Policies page.
Student Registration Questions
11. What is the CTECS assessment policy? May a student take the assessment more than one time?
Important! A student may NOT take any test title
There are NO exceptions to this policy.
12. What if I need to make changes to the student information after the students are enrolled in E-SESS?
Please contact IDCTE if student data is inaccurate.
13. How long do I have to test students once they are enrolled in E-SESS?
Refer to the testing calendar on the Idaho Overview webpage.
14. If I have a student who cannot use the test ticket assigned to them, can I substitute another student on the unused test ticket?
No. Student testing numbers and our tracking data is personalized for each registered student. We cannot substitute/replace new student information for a ticket to which he/she was not originally assigned. New students must be properly registered and assigned their own test tickets.
You can delete a student test ticket that is no longer in your class (ex. Left School or Schedule Change). For detailed instructions, refer to the document, Using E-SESS Admin Account.
15. How can I ensure that I receive e-mail messages regarding E-SESS login information and student enrollment?
When your administrator account is initially set up in E-SESS, an automatic email message is sent. Make sure that you can receive email from email@example.com (our online test provider). Add this address to the "safe sender/never block list" in your email program or ask the IT staff to make sure that messages from this sender are not blocked.
Administering the Test
16. Must students click the “Save Answer” button then the “Next” button when taking the assessment?
Answers are automatically saved every three to five clicked answers, so once the answer is selected, students can click the Next button to view the next question.
17. May students begin the test, stop, then finish the test later?
No, testing time cannot be chunked unless a school emergency interrupts the testing period. Refer to the Policies
18. May students use calculators when taking the exam?
Yes, they may use the calculator provided on the assessment screen.
19. How does the text-to-speech (audio) feature work?
The audio feature is only available for use by Limited English Proficiency Students (LEP) or Students With a Disability (SWD) and will not be available on the test unless the student was registered to receive Accommodations on the Student Registration form. Headphones should be provided. The student must click on the speaker icon to hear the audio. Using the audio feature requires additional bandwidth, so slower response times may occur during testing. CTECS recommends using hard-wired Internet connections. The selected media player may also need to be updated.