In order for the testing process to go smoothly, the IT requirements must be met. That said, the IT requirements are standard across today's popular IT hardware and software tools.
Use this checklist to be sure computer settings are correct: IT Checklist for Administering CTECS Assessments
If there are issues during testing, refer to these troubleshooting documents:
- E-SESS Technical Difficulties Tips - IT staff.docx
- E-SESS Technical Difficulties Tips and Solutions.docx
IT System Specifications Details
- Browser: The testing program is supported for participants on Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE 9+, and Safari on currently supported platforms for those browsers. For Administrators - Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE 11, or Safari on currently supported platforms.
- Reporting: In some cases, in-browser reports are augmented with spreadsheet and/or PDF documents. Excel (or compatible) and a PDF reader (such as Acrobat Reader) are optional but not required.
- Audio: Using the audio feature requires additional bandwidth; you may notice slower response times during testing. CTECS recommends using hard-wired computer Internet connections. Audio is played using HTML 5 technology.
- Display Properties: The testing program is best viewed at 1024 x 768 display resolution or higher. It will work at 800 x 600.
- Bandwidth: The bandwidth recommendation is a T1 line for every 150 simultaneous users. The T1 may be able to serve additional students; however, student populations greater than 150 per site have not been tested and confirmed by TFI. Bandwidth may be an issue if the connections are not "dedicated."
- Memory: There are no specific requirements for the CPU, RAM, etc. If the machine will run the browser, the E-SESS application will run.
- Firewalls and server settings: Content is accessed through https://techfluency.org/esess/. Media (images and audio) are served through https://media.techfluency.org/ via the AWS CloudFront service. Please ensure your location is not blocking these domains or services.